Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day X3

Today is special for three reasons:

First, it's the one year anniversary of when I found out I was pregnant with Picklebug. Early in the morning (around 5:30am) on Mother's day of last year I snuck into the bathroom to take "the test". Mike and I had been trying to start a family for several months with no luck - so I didn't get my hopes up too high. But as irony would have it - this one turned up positive! I walked back to the bed with a huge grin on my face and poked Mike in the shoulder. He saw the look on my face and knew instantly - we were going to be parents! Now keep in mind that it's only 5:40am at this point but we were so excited we just couldn't go back to sleep. Instead we showered, got dressed and drove five hours to NC so we could tell our parents the news in person (and celebrate Mother's day at the same time.)

Our first stop was at Golden Corral where we shared the news with my mom. I wanted her to be the very first person to know. She was so excited all she could do was hug me and smile! Then we went to my dad's house where my stepmom squealed with joy! (Actually, we shared the news by giving my stepmom a gift bag with a little bib in it. She knew immediately what it meant but my poor dad was a little confused. Why did Ronda need a bib?). Then we drove up into the mountains to share the news with Mike's parents. It was a crazy day with lots of driving but it was probably one of the happiest days of my life.

Second, this is my first official Mother's Day as a mom. I woke up to pancakes and sausage and lots of thoughtful gifts. My kitty's got me the DVD "Milo and Otis" - one of my favorites! Owen got me a lovely yellow Gerber Daisy and Mike got me a little charm for my bracelet. Then we celebrated by driving to Lynchburg to eat at my favorite Chinese restaurant. Mike and I reflected on just how cool it is to be parents during the car ride and marveled at how far we have come as a couple and how well we've adjusted to our new roles as parents.

Finally, this is also my first Mother's Day without my own mother. A few weeks back I went to the store to buy Mother's day cards for my stepmom Ronda and for Mike's mother. I got 2 cards for each of them, one from Owen and one from Mike and I. But I felt a little funny about not getting my own mom a card - so as silly as it is I bought one just for her too. I wrote her a special message and gave it to my brother to sign and place on her grave.

But this day wasn't as empty as I worried it might be. I'm so blessed to be surrounded by surrogate mothers. I have my sweet mommy friends Danielle and Kat who celebrate mommyhood with me on a daily basis. I have friends at work who help fill in the gaps with advice and support. And I have the worlds most awesome stepmom whom I love and cherish. If I got to chose another woman to be my mother other than my own mom, it would be Ronda.

So today was a day to celebrate, appreciate and remember just how special it is to be a mom, have a mom and be surrounded by great moms, something I will try to do every day of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Happy first mother's day Jen!! And, do me a favor. Don't ever write another post that will make me cry. K? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete